When asked to name the top 10 inventions of the modern era, many people mention technology that makes day-to-day life more pleasant: televisions, microwaves, refrigerators, automobiles, etc. These are items that most people have used or owned in their everyday lives. Similarly, there are some inventions that make escorting much easier and convenient than ever before. Here are the top 5 inventions that make escorting easier:
- Mobile phone: Although the first mobile car phones were invented in St. Louis in 1946, it was many years until the concept of a telephone that could reach the owner regardless of where she might be was developed. The first modern cell phone was developed by Motorola in 173 and was 2.5 pounds and 9 inches long (quite a monster!). Now many phones work on the new 4G network that boasts unprecedented speed and convenience and can access the Internet, transmit both voice and data, record video and take pictures. Escorts are available to take calls from clients no matter where they are and can work from any location. Previously, many escorts had answering services where they would check their messages once or twice a day. Now, escorts have more immediate access to their communications with clients. Not only are mobile phones tools that help escorts book appointments, they are also a safety device for all escorts. Anytime that an escort feels uncomfortable or unsafe with a client, she can use her phone to call for help.
- Internet: Started over 50 years ago by the government as a weapon against Cold War enemies, the Internet has evolved from a network of computers in 1962 to the World Wide Web we know today, invented in 1991. Ever evolving, the Internet allows escorts to market themselves to anyone in the world. Putting up profile pictures, posting information about themselves, keeping up with clients through blogs or forums and communicating through instant messaging or email have provided escorts with immeasurable access to clients all over the world. The Internet truly revolutionized the escort industry.
- Diaphragm: Originally a form of birth control, diaphragm is used by escorts monthly to help them work the entire month. As they get their periods, escorts often use a diaphragm so they can continue working, instead of missing an entire week of encounters with clients. The idea of the diaphragm is not a new one, however: women have been using ways of blocking their cervices for thousands of years. Margaret Sanger brought the first (illegal) diaphragms to the U.S. in 1916. By 1940, nearly 1/3 of all U.S. married couples used one.
- Birth control: Birth control revolutionized the view of sex for women. It suddenly became something pleasurable instead of something focused only on procreation. Ranging from the pill to condoms, birth control comes in many forms. However, the condom really revolutionized the world of escorting. Condom-like items were used back as far as in Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt, according to historians. However, the modern-day condom wasn’t invented until the 18th century. Linen or animal tissue (intestine or bladder tissue) was used to make the condom. By the 1920s, Youngs Rubber Company had manufactured the first latex condom, similar to the ones used today. The condom is utilized by escorts to not only prevent pregnancy, but it is an essential tool to avoid contracting sexually transmitted diseases. While most escorts try to casually examine clients prior to any intimate encounters, symptoms of sexually transmitted diseases are not always visible. Without condoms, escorts would report much higher levels of infection rates. Condoms are necessary devices for escorts.
- Lubrication: A working girl is going to have problems at the end of the day unless she uses a healthy dose of lube with each client. Personal lubricants, originally used only as medical or surgical lubricants, are usually water- or silicone-based and help make penetration less painful or uncomfortable. KY Jelly introduced the first variety of personal lubricant in 1904, and many varieties have followed, including warming gels and flavored versions. Most escorts say they won’t ever be caught without a tube of lube for their bookings with clients.