It is certainly no secret that motivation to work is often a problem, regardless of the career you’ve chosen. Escorts are no exception, even though, unlike with a 9-to-5 job, your performance with every client contributes to the success of your career. When you’re working for an employer, one or two slip-ups may not cost you your job. As a freelancer, you have to work every moment. That’s a lot of pressure!
Then again, freedom is responsibility. You have no boss looming over you with a clipboard full of daily quotas. There’s nobody to help you keep the pace. It’s much easier to give yourself the day off or to excuse your lackluster performance, when you are the only one you must answer to. But, you must find ways to motivate yourself so going to work is enjoyable, fun and something you look forward to each day.
Here are some motivational tasks you can implement into your daily routines so you keep up your good work and reputation as an escort:
- Set goals. A focused escort is one who will be able to keep her eye on the ball, staying dedicated to her career. Goal-setting is a skill that must be built, but it can be mastered easily. First, escorts should focus on long-term, specific goals they hope to achieve in the future, within one to five years. After setting the goal, an escort should analyze it by determining what will be required to accomplish it. For instance, she should do her research about any necessary steps that have to be accomplished ahead of time. Research should also include the cost of the goal and a realistic timeframe to meet the goal. As an example, a goal could be to purchase a new car. In addition to deciding what type of car and determining its price, an escort might have to check into purchasing or leasing a parking spot in her building’s garage, getting a driver’s license or learning about the cost of insurance. After considering all of these other steps, a realistic timeframe should be adjusted for the goal. These steps to the goals should be considered short-term goals that help keep an escort focused on her overall hope. In addition to the steps required to get to the long-term goal, other short-term goals should be set, too. Weekly/monthly income, time off, simple luxuries or other important considerations should be factored into short-term goals, too.
- Take pride in your work. An escort who is proud of what she does for her clients is one who will be happy to clock in to work each day. Even if there are certain aspects of escorting that don’t appeal to you, focus on the parts that you’re really good at. Maybe you’re excellent at conversing with a client and putting him at ease. Focus on that skill and perfect it. Concentrate on a part of your job you’re not especially smooth at and try to get better at it. Review the comments and feedback that your clients give you on review sites and try to use constructive criticism to become the best escort you can be. Pay attention to negative reviews: they may hint to potential improvements. Pay no attention to insulting reviews at all: they tell more about the author than about you.
- Take care of yourself emotionally and mentally. To perform well in any job, you have to have your wits about you. If you’re strung out emotionally or mentally, you won’t be able to relax enough to have a good time with your clients. Work through your insecurities, fears and other emotions involved with escorting or life, in general. Escorts who are emotionally unstable tend to be more vulnerable to clients who have ulterior motives. They also tend to jeopardize their own careers by being unable to consistently deal with clients in professional ways. If necessary, seek professional help from a therapist or psychologist to sort out your feelings and emotions. Some people even find that their emotional issues are not their own faults, but are results of chemical imbalances or other reasons and are treatable with medications. Making sure you are in the best emotional health possible will make you much more motivated to excel in your career.
- Enjoy your work. Nobody is happy with his or her job 100% of the time. However, people who are able to find things they like about their work are much more satisfied and motivated than others who consistently focus on the negative. Maybe you like meeting new people; perhaps, you like the sex; you may simply like the money. Regardless of what it is that you like about escorting, focus on the parts you enjoy and make the most of those that you can. Attempt to attract clients who embody the aspects of escorting you like. If you really like the seduction part of an encounter, try to schedule lots of clients who ask for that part of your service. Doing what you enjoy will motivate you even more as an escort.
- Get your personal life in order. Working in any job when your personal life is in shambles around you is certainly counterproductive. But, as an escort, it can be even worse. Hearing about your client’s relationship issues and mentally comparing them to yours cannot be helpful. And, it’s certainly distracting you from being able to concentrate fully on your client. While some problems can’t be cleared up quickly and easily (a family illness or separation), other issues can be resolved if you try. Focus on repairing damaged relationships, maintaining friendships and staying true and loyal to those who are most important to you. Avoid lying and always put your family first. When you do these things, your personal life is on the road to repair. Rid yourself of negative people when you can (the friend who constantly brings drama upon you and everyone else around her), and surround yourself with people who care about you as much as you care about them. Avoid drama and unnecessary confrontations. When your personal life is in order, you are much more motivated to get back to work.
- Stay healthy. If you don’t feel good, you’re not going to be motivated to do ANYTHING, let alone work. Not only is maintaining a healthy weight going to make you more desirable as an escort, but it’s going to ensure that you are leading a healthier lifestyle. Eat a healthy diet rich in vegetables, fruit and lean proteins. Limit sugars and unhealthy fats. Don’t overindulge in alcohol. Avoid tobacco products and illegal drugs. Go to the doctor when you feel ill or when you notice anything funny “down there”. Get regular check-ups and take prescribed medications as directed. Continue to take care of any medical conditions you have (high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, etc.) Exercise regularly and stay active through daily activities, which shouldn’t be hard when you’re seeing to clients’ needs during encounters.
- Choose to live a positive life. When all aspects of your life seem to be negative, it’s difficult to become motivated to do anything, especially work. But, by choosing to live a positive life, you are attempting to modify your way of thinking so that you see life from a new perspective. Happy people tend to look on the bright side of things: their glasses are always half full. When you can, focus on positive things in your life. When you have to spend your last few dollars to pay the over-priced electric bill, be happy that you had the money to pay it, instead of focusing on the negative effects it has. When/if a client cancels at the last minute, look at it as more time you get to spend with your friends or family members. Life doesn’t always go your way; but, if you focus on good things in your life, you’re going to be much more inclined to be motivated to update your marketing, call your clients back and get ready to go to encounters.
- Learn from your mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, even seasoned professional escorts. However, it’s easy to dwell on things you’ve done wrong or your weaknesses. Even though it’s easy to beat yourself up over mistakes, you’re not going to gain anything from them unless you focus on learning something from them. Focus not on what you did wrong, but what you could’ve done instead to have caused the situation to have a different outcome. When a similar situation arises in the future, you will be prepared with a new way to handle it, which will hopefully result in a positive outcome. Working with this knowledge should help motivate you to get back up and try again.
- Reward yourself. Everyone needs some positive reinforcement that he or she is doing a good job, and you’re no different! Maybe you’ve met some short-term goals or exceeded your expectations for a week or a month. When you’ve done an especially good job (or gotten an exceptionally lucrative encounter), reward yourself with dinner out at your favorite restaurant, a new item of clothing or accessory or something else that is a small luxury to you. Being able to look forward to a reward for a job well done is always motivating and may help you get through times with difficult clients or days when you’d rather be doing something else.
- Avoid distractions. Facebook, phone calls and television may be fun to indulge in when you have free time. But, they have no place in your life when you should be working. Attempt to rid yourself of distractions during your working hours, so you’re not tempted to do something else instead of things you should be doing, such as communicating with clients and getting ready for encounters. Fun times with friends and family will still be available when you’re done working for the day. If you know that you’re going to be distracted due to activities in your life, consider taking the day or afternoon off so you can give your full attention to them. Otherwise, you will be giving neither your work or your other activities your full attention, which means poor involvement on your part on all fronts.
To be a successful escort, you must be motivated, and that means doing several things that will help stay on track. But, the most important thing you can do is to hold yourself accountable. One of the biggest problems freelancers (both in the escort industry and in other professions) face is not having anyone to hold them to their goals, schedules, etc. Being your own boss can be great, but it isn’t always fun. Make yourself accountable for your actions and hold yourself to high standards.