Prostitution law in Lyon County, Nevada

Lyon County, with a population of 51,980 residents, allows for licensed prostitution outside of the county’s cities’ limits. The laws specifically designate that licensing of houses of prostitution and its employees is a privilege, not a right. There are many restrictions and strict policies regarding licensing and regulation.

House of prostitution licensing application requirements

In order to obtain a license for a house of prostitution in Lyon County, an applicant must fill out a form with many questions and provide a significant amount of information.

Sample questions on the application:

  • Names, ages and addresses of all persons with financial interest in the establishment
  • Names, ages and addresses of all persons responsible for managing the house of prostitution
  • Recent photos and sets of fingerprints for all people listed on the application
  • Previous employment record of applicant for the past 10 years
  • Criminal record of applicant
  • Financial statement of applicant
  • Legal description of the property

An applicant must pay an investigation fee (which is subject to change) to the county for processing of the application and the investigation. The sheriff conducts the investigation and gets an FBI background check on the applicant, interviews the applicant and others involved with the application, examines the applicant’s finances and interviews the applicant’s past employers. After completion, the sheriff submits an investigation report to the board for their approval, questions or denial.

Any license application submitted by an applicant who has a felony conviction in his or her background, is financially insolvent or bankrupt, willfully omitted or falsified a statement on the application or has business associates the board feels would be inappropriate may be denied. Additionally, a license may be denied based on incorrect zoning of the property. The board may give an applicant up to 30 days to correct anything on the application.

There are some restrictions and requirements for a house of prostitution in Lyon County. It may not be located within the geographical boundaries or within 3 miles of the boundaries of any city or town. Signage above the door and directional signs must be approved by the board. A 6-foot high fence must surround the property, with an entrance gate that is lockable. The board may limit the hours or days of operation of any house of prostitution. They may also regulate the number of prostitutes employed or the size or type of buildings used for brothels.

Requirements for employees and prostitutes

Prostitutes employed at houses of prostitution are required to have a work card in order to work at any licensed brothel. The application process includes questions concerning the prostitute’s name and aliases, age, address, physical description, employment record, criminal record and authorization for a background check. A recent photograph and a set of fingerprints must be submitted along with the application form. A current medical release is required for the processing of the application, too. A prostitute may be denied a work card if there is a criminal record involving drugs or controlled substances, felonies, embezzling, petty theft and shoplifting and use of deadly weapon; or if the individual is under the age of 18 years old.

Prostitutes are required to undergo a medical examination weekly by a doctor. Weekly tests are taken for the presence of gonorrhea and Chlamydia; monthly tests seek the infections of HIV and syphilis; annual tests detect infection of herpes simplex II virus. Individuals who do not pass the examinations will have their work cards revoked.

Other employees of brothels or houses of prostitution, such as bartenders, janitors, greeters, maintenance or repair specialists, must apply for a work card. The procedures are similar to the work card application process for prostitutes.

The following Nevada counties have their own laws and regulations on prostitution:

Prostitution laws in US cities:

Prostitution laws in Canada